Hydropack needs little maintenance; however, maintenance is very important, and the success of your green roof will depend on it. Valid for zones 3-8 only. Outside these zones please contact the Vegetal i.D. team for advice.
- Knife, gloves, small shovel
- Hand spreader (we recommend the 3100 Professional Hand Crank Spreader from Earthway)
- Slow release fertilizer – organic or inorganic.
- Irrigation supply
- The first visits should occur weekly during the first month after the installation to verify that the vegetation is establishing properly. Watering may be necessary during this period.
- Minimum maintenance for Standard Plant Mix is 4 times per year. For other mixes, consult our team.
- During extended periods of drought plants may suffer. Drought is considered any period of 20 days or more with less than 0.6" of cumulative rainfall and temperatures above 90°F. During this period, use a temporary irrigation system to water for 30 minutes once a week until the weather improves.
|Hydropack trays create a hardy low-maintenance green roof from the day of installation because our trays are delivered to the roof with the plants already established.|
Weed before the plants go to seed (for most weeds this means mid-spring to summer, depending on weather conditions). You can walk on the vegetation, but gently and not often. Pull out the weeds from the base. Pull out the entire root and put them in a plastic bag to prevent the seeds from spreading.
Fill in any bare patches with sedum cuttings from surrounding trays. Remember that watering your green roof will increase weed pressure. If you water your roof frequently, you'll need to weed more often (once a month). Too much irrigation will promote high weed pressure, so manage your irrigation with care. Don't use any chemical weed control products without first consulting Vegetal i.D.
- Identify each photo with the quote number initially provided
- Each photo must depict a digital timestamp reflecting the time and date that the photograph was taken.
To ensure prolific blooming on a highly visible roof, apply fertilizer each spring; otherwise, every 2 years, during spring.
Use a hand spreader. We recommend the 3100 Professional Hand Crank Spreader from Earhtway. Be sure to wear a dust mask, gloves, goggles and eye protection.
Follow the fertilizer manufacturer's instructions. We usually recommend a slow (9-month) fertilizer (18,6,12), but it really depends on the needs of the plants and the climate conditions. Please consult us for a detailed fertilization program. Water for 30 minutes after each application.
You'll begin to see the effect on the plants after about three weeks.
With the exception of some circumstances, such as pitched roofs, we do not recommend the installation of a permanent irrigation system.
Watering is important after installation and throughout the first summer. A temporary irrigation system is sufficient, using tripod stand sprinklers.
In long periods of drought you should water the roof until the reservoirs are full. It usually takes about 30 minutes with a water pressure of 35 psi. We define drought as a long period of 20 consecutive days with less than 0.6'' of cumulative rainfall and temperatures above 90°F. Under these specified conditions, water for 30 minutes once a week.
If you have bare spots on your roof, spread cuttings and water them every week until the plants grow back.
For irrigation supplies and advice please contact Vegetal i.D.
If you plan to install permanent irrigation, contact Vegetal i.D. for approval of the layout and the system itself. We provide lay out, ready-to-install kits that include weather stations, controller, connections, sprinklers and pipes.
Cleaning the Drains- Remove roots, vegetation, and any signs of moss appearing in the roof drains.
Remove Trash and Leaves- Pick up any leaves and trash that have fallen onto the vegetation.
Keeping up with the required visits in our maintenance plan is necessary to maintaining Vegetal i.D.'s plant warranty. With regular visits, green roof maintenance is easy, and requires little time. To ensure proper maintenance visits, please download and fill out our maintenance field note form.